• Sei lá, sei lá, a vida tem sempre razão.
– música de Toquinho e Vinícius de Moraes
• Beware of the Turing tar-pit in which everything is possible but nothing of interest is easy.
– Alan Perlis (1982) Epigrams on programming. SIGPLAN Notices 17(9)
• Le monde de Kafka est à la verité un univers indicible où l’homme se donne le luxe torturant de pêcher dans une bagnoire, sachant qu’il n’en sortira rien.
– Albert Camus, Le mythe de Sysiphe – L’espoir et l’absurde dans l’oeuvre de Franz Kafka
• Créer, c’est vivre deux fois (criar é viver duas vezes/to create is to live twice)
– Albert Camus, Le mythe de Sysiphe – La création absurde
• Those who know that they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound strive for obscurity.
– F. Nietzsche, The Gay Science, sec. 173
• Vulnerant omnes, ultima necat
Todas (as horas) ferem, a última mata – inscrição tradicional nos relógios de sol
All (the hours) wound, the last kills – traditional inscription on solar clocks
Toutes (les heures) blessent, la dèrniere tue – inscription tradionelle sur les cadrans solaires
• Quod me nutrit me destruit
O que me nutre me destrói
What nourishes me destroys me
Ce que me nourrit me destruit
• I searched for great men but found only the apes of their ideals.
– F. Nietzsche, Maxims and Arrows, 39
• Morality is merely an interpretation of certain phenomena – more precisely, a misinterpretation.
– Nietzsche, Twilight of the idols – The “Improvers” of Mankind, 1
• He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.
– F. Nietzsche, Maxims and Arrows, 12
• Out of life’s school of war: What does not destroy me, makes me stronger.
– F. Nietzsche, Maxims and Arrows, 8
• To die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly. Death freely chosen, death at the right time, brightly and cheerfully accomplished amid children and witnesses: then a real farewell is still possible, as the one who is taking leave is still there…
– F. Nietzsche, Twilight of the idols, Skirmishes of An Untimely Man, 36
• Such a spirit who has become free stands amid the cosmos with a joyous and trusting fatalism, in the faith that only the particular is loathsome, and that all is redeemed and affirmed in the whole – he does not negate anymore. Such a faith, however, is the highest of all possible faiths: I have baptized it with the name of Dionysus.
– F. Nietzsche, Twilight of the idols, Skirmishes of an Untimely Man, 49
• “Faith” means not wanting to know what is true.
– F. Nietzsche, The antichrist, 52
• In heaven all the interesting people are missing.
– F. Nietzsche, The will to power, 871
• Mas querendo te responder rápido, achei melhor escrever uma carta longa do que gastar tempo para escrever uma curta.
– há diversas origens para a autoria
• When one speaks of humanity, the idea is fundamental that this is something which separates and distinguishes man from nature. In reality, however, there is no such separation: “natural” qualities and those called truly “human” are inseparably grown together. Man, in his highest and noblest capacities, is wholly nature and embodies its uncanny dual character. Those of his abilities which are terrifying and considered inhuman may even be the fertile soil out of which alone all humanity can grow in impulse, deed, and work.
– F. Nietzsche, Homer’s contest
• Human beings who do not want to belong to the mass need only to stop, and not be comfortable; follow their conscience, which cries out: “Be yourself! All you are now doing, thinking, desiring, is not you yourself.”…your educators can be only your liberators…
– F. Nietzsche, Untimely mediations, Schopenhauer as Educator, 1
• “never get so attached to a poem
you forget truth that lacks lyricism”
– Joanna Newsom sings in “En gallop”
• TME: Do you have any advice for aspiring young musicians?
Imogen Heap: Get ready for it. It’s not something to do for fame or money because if you do it for those reasons, you won’t get anything out of it in return. It’s something [to] do for your love of music, your love of just doing it and being in the moment in the music. Don’t do it unless there is nothing else in life you feel you are called to do, but if you are called to do it, it’s something you absolutely have to do. Do it because you won’t be able to live fully doing something else.
• The laws of Thermodynamics
You can’t win (1st law)
You can’t even get even (2nd law)
You can’t stay out of the game (3rd law)
– Voet and Voet, Biochemistry, 1995
• My goal… is to uplift people as much as I can to inspire them to realize more and more of their capacities for living meaningful lives because there certainly is meaning to life
– John Coltrane